Professional Certifications and Affiliations
- Society of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers
- Information Systems Auditing and Control Assoc. (ISACA)
- Engineering Society of Detroit
- US SAILING National Race Officer
- US SAILING Basic Race Management Instructor
- US SAILING National Judge
- US SAILING Club Judge Instructor
- Certified Property Manager (CPM), Institute of Real Estate Management
- Licensed Michigan Real Estate Broker
- MS Accounting, University of Michigan - Dearborn, 2014
- MBA, Ross School of Business at the University of Michigan, 1990
- BS Engineering, Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering, University of Michigan, 1982
Volunteer and Work Experience
- Principal, Wolverine Management Works, LLC, D.B.A. Wolverine One-Design Management, Commerce Twp, MI, January 2000 to present
- Member, US SAILING Nominating and Governance Committee, 2009 - 2013
- US SAILING One-Design Class Council Chair, 2008 - 2012
- Asset Manager / Regional Property Manager, Unified Property Group, Brighton, MI, 2002 - 2009
- Area Director, Village Green Companies, Farmington Hills, MI, 2000-2002
- Vice President of Property Management, Berger Realty Group, Southfield, MI, 1985 - 1999
- Senior Production Planner, Bath Iron Works Shipyard, Bath, ME 1982 - 1985
Matt Bounds is the founder and principal of Wolverine One-Design Management, a one-design association and yacht race management firm based in Commerce Township, Michigan.
Matt spent his childhood sailing Sunfish and Lasers on the Cheapeake Bay. The racing bug bit hard in his early teens and has never let go. In high school, he taught himself yacht design and drafted lines for an International Moth dinghy, an IOR One-Tonner and a wing-sailed C-Class Catamaran. Descended from a line of ship's pilots and engineers, he was destined to become a Naval Architect at the University of Michigan, where he and Phil Kaiko together designed a 6-Meter yacht for their senior design project.
After working three years in a Maine shipyard, life took a sharp corner when Matt had the opportunity to return to Michigan, get a master's degree in business, and start a new career in real estate management. For 25 years, sailing became a hobby while Matt gained valuable experience in accounting, management and general business acumen. In his most recent position in that field, he was responsible for the physical and financial management of over $50M of commercial and multifamily properties.
During that same time, Matt became involved with the North American Hobie Cat Class Association, serving as secretary, treasurer, newsletter editor and chairman. He is a self-taught graphic artist and has designed event posters, logos and does the production design of the Hobie Class magazine, the HOTLINE. He is highly proficient in Adobe PhotoShop, InDesign, Illustrator, MS Expressions Web and the MS Office applications.
Life has now come full circle. Matt is able to combine his passion for sailing with his knowledge of business and marketing to help one-design classes and organizations achieve their goals via Wolverine One-Design Management.
In addition to sailing and racing, Matt’s passions include his family, gardening, woodworking and of course, working on his boats.
CPM® and CERTIFIED PROPERTY MANAGER™ are certification marks owned by the Institute of Real Estate Management. These marks are awarded to individuals who successfully complete the CPM initial and ongoing certification requirements.